HOME   KTM   Vehicles   Contact/ About    Copyright ReadMe    Site Map    Davies Family Photos 


Custom Search

Dual Sport Riding at Inland Empire Paper Company

     Official IEPCO Lands Map, showing access points. Spokane is to the W; Coeur d'Alene to the SE.

Click here for IEPCO PICS


Contact IEPCO  Call or email IEPCO for more information about fees or closures.
Inland Empire Paper Company has about
120,000 acres of very scenic, mountainous, PRIME dual sport timberland in WA and ID. They allow road access only – "officially" they allow NO riding off established, maintained timber roads. The scenery is simply stunning and the roads are twisty and steep.

The riding rules are a little hazy. Officially the rule book says that you are supposed to stay on “maintained” roads. Since many of these roads appear maintained and then deteriorate rapidly into a maze of overgrown doubletrack, it’s hard to say exactly what is maintained and what is not. In talking to a large number of different officials at IEPCO and Quality Assurance (which administers public access), I understand that the intent is to stop unauthorized side trail use, which causes heavy erosion and vegetation damage. The gates and dirt berms at the far end of many roads are there to stop Jeeps and full sized 4x4s – it is ok for ATVs and motorcycles to go over or bypass them if you can do so safely AND if there are no “Keep Out” or “Private Property” signs posted. Any berms adjacent to State Park land should not be crossed – motorized vehicles are not allowed on most of the roads in the Park. So all those old overgrown forest roads are fair game if you ride sensibly and stay on the old grades. Please do NOT abuse this privilege!

These roads are for the most part gravel or smooth packed dirt, but many have mud, ruts and lots of waterbars (jumps) that make for a very fun ride. Some of the main roads have recently been "improved" with a thick layer of very round, very large river rock, which makes for treacherous two-wheeling. Be very careful when riding these slippery main roads.

IEPCO requires that EACH vehicle carries a shovel and fire extinguisher. (As a side note, they also require you to carry a bucket if you are stupid enough to ride without a helmet.... the helmet will serve dual duty. Idaho has no helmet law.) This is a real pain, esp for those with families and kids, but I think it's a very small price to pay to ride these lands. I carry a compact folding camp shovel (in a Wolfman Enduro tank bag.) A small Kidde kitchen-sized fire bottle rides in my backpack. Cost was less than $20 for both items at WalMart.

Permits vary from $5 for a single individual day pass to $45 for an annual family pass. A family pass is good for husband and wife and two kids for the calendar year, which typically means riding from early June through snow closure, but it also gives you winter access by ski or snowmobile. Additional kids under 14 don't need a permit when accompanied by a parent.

You are "officially" allowed entry only through designated, manned gates – all other IEPCO gates are NOT to be used for recreational entry. I do have verbal assurances that it is ok to exit around any of these closed gates if you are not trespassing. I have also been told that it is ok to RE-enter any of these secondary gates after you have "officially" entered through one of the main gates. The idea here is that they want to know who is riding on their land on any given day. A map showing access points is given out along with a brochure (rules book) when you get a permit. One gate is located just east of Mt Spokane. Two more are located north of I-90 (Thompson Creek and Rathdrum) and the final two are located at the Twin Lakes/ Spirit lake areas of Idaho. I got my annual permit at White's Outdoor in Spokane – there are several other local vendors. If you need specifics let me know or contact IEPCO.

UPDATE 09-11-06: There must be additional open gate(s) that are not shown on the official IEPCO map. I keep encountering lots of full-sized vehicles on Larch Mountain, due north of Spirit Lake, and so far the only way I have found to get up there is via an overgrown ATV trail. If anyone can tell me where these vehicles are entering, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Vehicles do not have to be street legal, but if not, you need a current ORV sticker for the particular state you are riding in (WA and/ or ID) since the roads often cross pockets of state or private land. Spark arrested mufflers are mandatory and just common sense. Speed limit is officially 25 mph, just like for the National Forest Service, and you will encounter oncoming traffic unexpectedly, so no racing please. I have often seen official white IEPCO pickup trucks or privately owned Quality Services enforcement vehicles patrolling, and they WILL stop you to look at your permit and say hello. They have always been very friendly and concerned that you are having a good time and staying safe. If they don't like the way you are riding they can revoke your access rights on the spot and permanently. Be SURE to bring along the original pink permit form. No photocopies are allowed, but the original can be laminated for weather protection.

NO overnight camping. NO recreational shooting!!!! Hunting is ok in season, and you see LOTS of hunting ATVs in the fall. Parking is available along the roads  near the access points.
Having ridden the land further north I STRONGLY recommend that you camp at Spirit Lake at the Silver Beach Resort and then access through the east side of the area. It is very scenic and has fewer frustrating dead-ends than the land near Rathdrum and Thompson Creek in the south.

I hope others will take advantage of this great private land, and respect the rules of the property owners, please! They can lock the gates any time if they get ticked off by too many rule-breakers, and that would be a shame.


IMPORTANT GPS NOTE: The gps files posted below are in Garmin Database "gdb" and also the universal "gpx" format. If you wish to convert them to another format, you can use GPSBabel or go to this web-based converter: GPS Visualizer. I suggest that you convert the "gbd" file since it contains the most detail.

TRACK NOTES: The saved GDB tracks are COLOR CODED as follows:

   MAGENTA: Secondary gravel (sometimes paved) main route, logging traffic, occasional cars. Not my preferred road type.

    BLUE: Primitive gravel or dirt road, NO traffic, often overgrown double track, fun, waterbars (jumps), sometimes no easy egress (berm/ blowdown or other obstruction.) (Note: Discontinued color code - only in IEPCO data! Way too confusing with water features and freeways!)

   DARK MAGENTA: Secondary primitive road, NO traffic, often overgrown double track, fun, waterbars (jumps), sometimes no easy egress (berm/ blowdown or other obstruction.) Includes "Summer Roads" in farm country.  (Note: current color code.)

    RED: Dead end, no egress. Posted "No Trespassing" or impassible due to brush.

    CYAN: ATV track or singletrack. Often these are illegal - some are obviously main routes used by the forestry crews. Feel free to responsibly use existing trails - do  NOT blaze new ones. THIS IS A GRAY AREA WITH IEPCO - PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE!

    GREEN:  Side route to scenic overlook, may be dead end or loop.

    DARK YELLOW: Old Railroad bed, motorized traffic OK (not a bicycle trail)

   DARK GREEN: Main paved secondary highway - Note that I don't normally mark these unless they are important connector routes.


     My latest IEPCO TRACKS MAP for 09/11/06. Updated regularly during the riding season!

IEPCO Tracks and Waypoints 09-11-06: Latest Tracks and Waypoints GPS DATA (updated regularly)

IEPCO Page Updated April 18, 2008

return to John Davies' KTM Index Page